Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

six word memoirs

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter"- Blaise Pascal.

It is actually much harder to write something in a few words, than it is if you are given all the words in the world. If you only have a few words, each one is that much more important, because there is a lot more room for misunderstanding or misconstrual.

A few months ago, I read Not Quite What I Was Planning, a collection of 6 words memoirs inspired by Ernest Hemingway's "For sale: Baby shoes, never worn." I think back to it every so often, trying to decide what my 6 word memoir would say, but it's very hard to commit to something like that, it feels so final.

Although, really, your 6 word memoir would just be a snapshot of that time in your life, and would change in the future certainly, and could change almost as soon as it was written, because even if your experiences haven't changed, your perspective might have.

So as of right now, this minute, my six word memoir is: Learn, travel, try; always missing something.

See more 6 word memoirs at Smith Magazine.com- Six word memoirs.

Check out true stories told in one sentence here.

No comments:

Post a Comment