Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

mixing it up

I've wanted a stand mixer for as long as I can remember. A bright red one, to be exact. I don't know why exactly, or when precisely I started to covet this particular item, but it was very early on.

I don't really know what a 5 year old would do with a standing kitchen mixer, especially because A) I wasn't tall enough to reach the counter yet, and B) I didn't have my own kitchen to put one in, but I did. To me, it was the gleaming symbol of adulthood and happiness. Apparently marketing does work.

I never got one for myself though because I do love baking, but not enough to sell my first born child to actually purchase one of these, as they are pretty expensive. But a few years ago Derek brought this one home for me from work, since they didn't need it anymore.

It was a little beat up, but still worked fine. Recently, I decided to give it a makeover and turn it into the gleaming, candy apple red appliance of my dreams.


Before
Supplies: Tape, Rust Reformer, Red and Silver Spray Paint

Tape off the areas you don't want to be painted

Spray Rust Reformer over the whole thing

Add two coats of lovely red

Spray the handle silver

Remove the tape
Bask in eternal joy

There are still a few dinged up spots on the silver, but it looks 400% better, and it makes me happy every time I go into the kitchen, and you can't put a price on that.

Or if you could put a price on it, it might be a $6.00 can of paint thinner and 3 hours of elbow grease so I can scrub the red spray paint off of our back patio before Derek murders me. But either way.


No comments:

Post a Comment