Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

rock your body...

I've always been an active person, I ran my first competitive race when I was 5 years old. I've done track, cross country, volleyball, swimming, yoga, Pilates, I even took a jazz dancing class for a couple months a few years ago during a particularly interesting phase of self discovery.

After the Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll Marathon with my momma
I've played almost every sport, tried almost every machine at any gym, and even, for one particularly heinous hour, took a spin class. I'm pretty sure hell will be just like that. Never again.
 
I tried Crossfit for a few months this year. The workouts were awesome and challenging, I get a serious high from the competition and intensity, and I could see a real difference in my body after only a few months.

Even though I liked it, I decided not to go back after awhile because it was very expensive, and most of the workouts (except for the really heavy weight lifting, which I didn't like anyway) I could do at home, for free, and on my own schedule.

Then a few months ago, a friend told me about BodyRock. It's a daily 12 minute work via YouTube video out that you can do with minimal equipment, in your own home. The workouts are different every day, they are intense, and challenging, but you can do anything for 12 minutes, right?

The only problem is, they keep switching up the format. When I first started checking them out, it was just a 3 minute video, zoomed in on the BodyRock hosts while showing the highlights of the workout. It was kind of hard to see what they were doing, and it was difficult to push myself to that intensity, while I was stopping to see what she was doing the whole time.
 
Then a few weeks ago, I checked back in, and they had a new format. It was the full 12 minute workout in real time, usually with an ab or leg bonus video, and the trainer went through the entire video with you, and actually did it with you, screaming at you and pushing you to go faster and work harder.
 
I was completely obsessed, and I went back every day for almost 2 weeks, because it was an awesome workout, and there were new videos every day. It was like having a free personal trainer on duty any time you wanted.

A personal trainer who looks like this.
Sadly, after those few weeks, they switched up the format again, and went back to the shorter videos, just demonstrating the workout for you and letting you do it on your own, which you can get from tons of other sites and fitness sources.

I've stopped doing it since then, just sticking with running, and my week day elliptical and body weight resistance training, but I check back in with them every now and then just in case they decide to switch up their format again.
 
You can check out BodyRock's YouTube videos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment