Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

the conversation

The Conversation is an interview series with host Amanda de Cadanet. She sits down with famous women, celebrities, activists, designers, business women, etc, and interviews them. It's very informal, and she asks really great questions.

The end result is a really honest, revealing and candid talk about relationships, career, business, family, body image, money, jealousy, race, religion and any number of other topics that all women deal with, regardless of nationality, or fame and fortune.

One of my favourite interviews on The Conversation is with fashion designer Diane von Furstenburg. She seems so interesting, she is so gracious and confident and seems very wise. During her interview, when asked about what aspects of her life had been part of a plan she replied "I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I always knew what kind of woman I wanted to be."

Amanda de Cadanet interviewed actress Ashley Madekwe from  Revenge, who is also one of my favourite bloggers, about why she decided to start her fashion blog. Ashley said that she had always loved fashion, and had all of these nice clothes but that she felt she really couldn't wear them unless she was going to a fancy dinner because she feels that other women, especially, judge women for wearing heels, or being too dressed up during the day.

Starting her blog gave her a reason to wear the clothes she wanted, and not care what people think about it. That kind of resonated with me, because there are definitely a few outfits I have in my closet that I really love, but every time I put them on, I end up changing because I think other people will think I shouldn't be wearing it.

This blog has definitely helped me with that. Not that I'm really a fashion blogger but I do post outfits sometimes, and it does take a certain amount of confidence and disregard for other people's opinions to put up pictures of yourself and say "I think this is a cute outfit, and I look good in it." You are basically offering yourself up to be judged and criticized, but it has made me more confident and I'm much more likely to wear something now because I like it, even if I think that somebody else might not.

Other interviewees on The Conversation include Gwyneth Paltrow, Sarah Silverman, Melissa McCarthy, and Chelsea Handler.



No comments:

Post a Comment