Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

giving thanks

Monday was Thanksgiving (I try not to call it Canadian Thanksgiving even though I'm sure some people think I just can't read a calendar because it kind of feels weird and dis-associative. It's MY Thanksgiving so I feel like I shouldn't qualify it, as though I'm saying it's not REALLY Thanksgiving).

I haven't been able to be home for Thanksgiving in a very long time, but it's become a tradition to celebrate it with friends, food and lots of booze, and it's far enough away from American Thanksgiving (ha) that I'm not interfering with anyone's plans with their family.

I've had some very memorable celebrations, the time at our Sheridan St apartment or "the ghetto" as it was less than affectionately referred to by our friends, when we didn't have any furniture except for a tiny, musty futon and ended up eating and cooking most of our meal sitting on the living room carpet.

There was the year that my sister made electric purple sweet potato casserole that was way too nasty looking to eat. The year my friends in North Dakota surprised me with a Thanksgiving celebration of fries and gravy (poutine's cheeseless counterpart), ketchup chips and perogies even though in their opinion, and this is a direct quote "Canadians don't even believe in pilgrims."

And one of my fondest orphaned Thanksgiving stories, my first year living in Honolulu when my room mates who I'd only known for a couple of months surprised me with a KFC picnic in our new dorm room to celebrate. It was my first holiday so far from home and to this day I think it was the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me.

This year was no exception, Derek and I had a turkey cook off (I'm pretty sure I won, ahem) and a bunch of our favourites came over to help us eat it (even though there were 10 of us, we didn't put a dent in that turkey, in case you were wondering what I'll be eating for the next two weeks). We had perogies, mashed potatoes, stuffing and some amazing mac and cheese, way too many desserts, and some very intense beer pong matches.

There was the small matter of a puppy almost getting ran over by a car, but it's pretty likely that it's not even possible for horrifying catastrophes to occur on Thanksgiving, and everyone walked away unscathed.

So as a status update, today I am feeling fat and happy because of all the delicious things I've had to eat lately, and also lucky that I've had the opportunity to make so many good friends, all over the place.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment