Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

pinata.

I've been seeing recipes for Pinata cakes for a few months now, so I decided to make one for my brother-in-law's birthday. It was a bit tricksier than I thought, I had to make 4 cakes just to get two that I could use, because brownie mix and cake mix look remarkably similar, and also because baking a cake in a bowl apparently takes a lot longer than it does in a pan, and if you don't bake it long enough, and then you flip it upside down, you get something that looks a little like this:


Luckily it still tasted fine, so I ate it.. you know, for research purposes

Finally, two good cakes

The stuffing. I wanted to put in little bottle of booze, but I couldn't fine any. They don't sell them at Safeway, weird right?

Cut off the tops of the two cakes so they are flat, and then follow out the bottom cake

Fill it up with candy, or whatever, and put icing on it to seal the two halves together




Sharks colours are optional

Cake anddd candy. What more could you ask for?

Here are some tips if you're thinking of doing this:

1. Make sure you bake the cakes for at least an hour each, and then check them to make sure they are really well done, you can't really go by the baking time on the cake mixes

2. I didn't hollow out the top of the cake, because I wanted it to still be a cake, and not be all candy, but if you want more of a pinata effect where the candy falls out, you can hollow out the top

3. Do a crumb coating on the cakes first, before you ice them

4. And this is important, make sure to spray the baking bowls with non-stick spray to make your life a lot easier when you try to take the cakes out of the bowl

That's it. Happy sugar coma!


No comments:

Post a Comment