Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

lucero.

Tonight I'm going to see my favourite band, Lucero, at the Fillmore. I bought tickets in February, and have pretty much had to forget about it because whenever I think about it I get too excited to do anything else.

I don't remember the day, but I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard them. I was sitting on the chair at my desk in our first apartment in Hawaii, and my roomie's boyfriend was downloading random songs, and came across one of their albums.

As soon as he started playing Here at the Starlight, I got a tingle from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. I loved them immediately. By the time I had listened to My Best Girl, and Night's Like These, it was over for me. That was about 4 years ago, and since then they have gotten me through every sadness, every heartbreak, homesickness and sleepless night, and every rainy day.

When I moved to California, and I had no friends, no job, no family and I missed the island so badly that I couldn't sleep at night, I would put Lucero on my iPod on repeat, and let Ben sing me to sleep. It's kind of funny how much of an effect you can have on someone else's life without even knowing it.

Here are some of my favourite Lucero lyrics:

"She had a weakness for writers And I was never that good at the words anyways"- Night's Like These

"And I've only got this one wish, that I was good enough to make you forget the only boy who ever broke your heart"- Night's Like These

"The light from the disco balls surround us with stars, and I looked like trouble right from the start. you told me so, yeah you told me so."- Slow Dancing

"Life is short, in spite of your plans, so tell the girls they're pretty while you can."- Drink 'til We're Gone

"Well it's plain to see you're a dangerous thing, with those hips, those lips, and those eyes, and it's lucky for me that I like being free or I might try to make you mine."- A Dangerous Thing

"well I'm a sucker for some pretty eyes but they're going home with some other boy tonight hell, i guess I'll be fine 'cause there's one girl whose all mine."- My Best Girl

"Now we got to the game just a little too late, spent our early days, we spent our early days just fucking up. We ain't nobody's darlings, we ain't nobody's boys."- Nobody's Darlings


No comments:

Post a Comment