Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

surprise

My little rat sister turned 21 last Tuesday, and I really wanted to be there to celebrate with her. One night in August after a lot of red wine I decided to buy a ticket to Hawaii without telling her about it. As it got closer, I started to get really nervous. What if she had plans or was not that excited to see me? I felt like she would be really excited but I've seen too many romantic comedies not to appreciate the true awfulness of a grand gesture gone wrong.

I flew in last Wednesday night and walked up to what I hoped was the right door (I'd never been to her place before). She opened the door, and absolutely did not recognize me at first. An instant later when she realized it was me she got a look of sheer terror on her face, like she thought I might be there to tell her some really bad news.

A second after that she must have remembered that it was her birthday and put the pieces together, because she was really excited and happy to see me, and I didn't have to go sleep on the beach for the night.

I had such a fun weekend, I love hanging out with my sister, and her friends on the island are really fun. Hawaii is my favourite place in the world and always will be, I feel happiest and most like myself when I'm there.


No comments:

Post a Comment