Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

hello goodbye

I still don't know my way around here very well, probably because I've been so dependent on technology that I've never had to learn. My phone GPS is broken right now, so on the way home from San Jose last weekend, we ended up getting lost and going through San Francisco, which worked out anyway because I had a friend visiting and she wanted to see the city.

It was a gorgeous day, not a lot of traffic, the sun shining and good tunes on the radio, and as we drove north on the 101 and came around the last curve and saw the San Francisco laying out in front of us, with it's cute, colourful houses on the hillsides and the skyline off in the distance, I realized for the first time that I really love this city.

It would be just like me to finally notice that just as we're starting to get serious about planning where we want to go next, but you can't have everything in life. The transition to living here was definitely rough, I've never been so lonely and homesick in my life, including when I moved to an island in the middle of the ocean without knowing a single person.

It was a great experience for me in hindsight,  nothing helps you figure out who you are faster than no longer have anyone around you to tell you who they think you should be. It's scary at first, but once you figure out that the only opinion that really matters is your own, even if it's because there is nobody left around you to have an opinion, it's very freeing.

Looking back, I can pretty clearly see how each new place I've lived has changed me and shaped my viewpoint, and I know I'm very fortunate to have had the ability to live in so many wonderful places. I can't wait to see what is in store for me when I get to my next new home.


No comments:

Post a Comment