Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

put your back into it

I've always been a big fan of backless shirts and dresses, probably because I've never been able to wear them. Well probably not never, but certainly not since the age of about 13. Sadly, having your entire bra hanging out of the back of your backless shirt somewhat destroys the look.

Gabi from Gabifresh kind of inspired me, she is a plus size model and she always says that if she really wants to wear something, she will find a way to make it work for her. I think that's great, and also really true. You can't do something the way someone else would do it, you have to do it the way that you would do it.

So this is how I would wear a backless dress. I got some pretty heavy duty elastic from Michael's, and my favourite bra. I cut off the back of the bra, leaving about an inch on each side of the cup to attach the elastic to, and sewed on 3 strips of the elastic on one side.

Then I awkwardly put it on/ figured out the delicate balance between having it stay up, and having it cut off all circulation. Once I decided on that, I sewed on the elastic to the other side at the right tightness, and voila.

It takes a bit of wiggling to get into it, but it's actually really comfortable, and I think it's pretty cute. I may not be able to go completely backless, but I figured out a way to wear what I wanted, and make it work for me.








No comments:

Post a Comment