Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

potter

I went to my first pottery class yesterday, and it was pretty neat. The instructor went over the basics with us, and then just kind of let us go, stopping to check in every once in awhile. We all got as much clay as we wanted so we were able to make lots of different things.

At first I made 2 bowls that looked exactly the same, and then a coffee mug that looked the same as both of my bowls. I think I was being a little bit hard on myself, I spent a really long time on each piece trying to get it perfect, but the people around me were just cranking through them one after another.

Our instructor was telling us how pottery is one of the most long lasting art forms, which is true, archaeologists are always finding pottery from ancient civilizations. Maybe one day, thousands of years from now, someone will find one of my pieces, and wonder what kind of society could have survived when it's people were so bad at making pots.

I didn't keep any of the pieces I made for the first class, I signed up for 3 classes so hopefully by the end of the third I'll have improved enough to bring home a mug that will actually be able to hold coffee.

one of my pots will probably end up there eventually, let's be honest
this is where the magic happens
pre-glazing
finished works

before
after
my first attempt at a plate. no bueno.

No comments:

Post a Comment