Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

viva mexico

We booked our tickets for Christmas in Mazatlan with my family yesterday. I am so excited to go, my grandpa has a house there and I used to go all the time, but I haven't been since I was 18.

Most of the memories I have of being a kid are in Mazatlan, and it's kind of weird to think I'll be going back there and bringing my husband. I still very clearly remember stealing quietly from my bed and creeping down the stairs in my Aladdin night gown to see if Santa had found us in Mexico.

Lazy beach day, before I realized that I should be scared of sharks
I remember swimming at the Granada pool and playing mermaids with my sister, and then stretching out on a lounger to eat Oreos and Ritz crackers that my grandma stocked by the closet-full when we came to visit.

A palm tree started on fire and we forcibly adopted two iguanas. Mine was named Princess. I was terrified of her.
I loved driving my grandpa's golf cart, visiting the crocodiles that lived on the first hole, and spending days at the beach jumping over the waves until I was too exhausted to move and then laying on the beach looking at the wares of the beach vendors and trying on jewellery.

The money keeper around my neck is both a great place to keep your pesos, and a stylish fashion accessory
My sister and I would creep around the house at dusk and try to catch iguanas and geckos, and spend our days trying to sneak into the pool at the El Morro so we could jump off the highest rock in the waterfall, and then reward ourselves with a dip in the hot tub.

As we got older we'd go out drinking and dancing and maybe to a foam party or two. I know people who won't go to Mexico because they are scared, but I've only had wonderful memories and met great people there.

I can't wait to be back there with my family again and to show all of 5 year old me's favourite places to 26 year old me's favourite guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment