Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

picture this

I received a Barnes and Noble gift card for my birthday about 5 years ago, and I set off to the store to claim my prize. I have been known to spend a good chunk of my time at bookstores, once I accidentally spent 6 hours in Chapters and didn't even realize it. My frantic mother almost killed me, but I had just been browsing through all of the wonderful books and completely lost track of time.

I spent hours searching through every section trying to find the perfect book, it's really a lot of pressure trying to make a decision like that. Or as Drew Barrymore put it in Ever After, "I could no sooner choose a favourite star in the heavens".

Eventually after a lot of indecision and minor panic attacks, I came to the photography section, where I found this little gem. It's possible I had been living under a rock, but I hadn't ever really been exposed to Life magazine before, and I was completely blown away by the photographs inside. I bought it immediately, and have some of the images hanging in my room to this day.

Today I was creeping around on Amazon looking at Christmas gifts, and I happened into the section on photograph books. It's taking every ounce of will power I possess to remember that I am supposed to be buying things for other people, not for myself, but there are a few I'll be keeping my eye on until the new year.

Lillian Bassman: Lingerie


Jerry Schatzberger: Women Then


Lillian Bassman: Women


No comments:

Post a Comment